Since joining the patent profession in 2000, Michael has worked across all types of chemical technology, advising a wide portfolio of clients including early stage companies (often spun out from academic organisations), UK and overseas SMEs, originator and generic pharmaceutical companies and large multinationals.
His particular areas of interest include adhesives, antimicrobial agents, drug and gene delivery compounds, compounds and compositions for photodynamic therapy, food and ingredients, fuel additives, paint and coating compositions, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, phosphor compositions for LED lights and surgical and medical devices.
He began his career at Gallafent & Co, a small European private practice, before joining D Young & Co where he qualified as a patent attorney in 2003.
- Member of European Patent Institute (epi)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys
- European Patent Attorney
- UK Patent Attorney
- UK Design Attorney
- Post graduate certificate in IP, University of London, UK
- PhD in Organic Chemistry, Loughborough University
- Honours Degree in Chemistry, Loughborough University
- Chemical technology
- Antimicrobial agents
- Drug and gene delivery compounds
- Compounds and compositions for photodynamic therapy
- Food and ingredients
- Fuel additives
- Paint and coating compositions
- Phosphor compositions for LED lights
- Surgical and medical devices
- Oral proceedings in the European patent office
Selected technical publications
- Lanthanide Triflate Catalysed Reactions of Acetals with Primary Amines and Cascade Cyclisation Reactions. Synlett 1998 Jun;1998(6): 640-642.