One of the co-founders of Script, William has worked in the patent profession for over 20 years following a high-profile academic career that included a Glaxo-Wellcome Prize Scholarship which led to his PhD.
At Script, William has built a wealth of experience in drafting and prosecuting a large number of patent applications before the UK and European offices, as well as in the U.S., China, Japan and elsewhere. He has also successfully opposed and defended numerous granted European patents and regularly conducts hearings before the Opposition Divisions and Boards of Appeal at the European Patent Office. William has also taken part in successful Examiner Interviews in the US Patent and Trade Mark Office.
Along the way, he has worked with the complete spectrum of clients from international corporations to start-ups (including ones ‘spun out’ of academia) and individual inventors.
- Member of the British Genetics Society
- Member of the Genetics Society of America
- Member of European Patent Institute (epi)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys
- European Patent Attorney
- UK Patent Attorney
- Design Attorney
- Intellectual Property Litigation Certificate
- Post graduate certificate in IP Law, University of London, UK
- PhD in Molecular Genetics, University of Leicester & Geneva Institute for Molecular Biology
- Honours Degree in Biological Sciences, University of Leicester
- Molecular biology
- Nucleic acids
- Personalised medicine
- Food and ingredients
- Medical devices
- Oral proceedings in the European patent office before the Examining Division, the Opposition Division, and the Board of Appeal
Selected technical publications
- Genetic analysis of interaction between a DSS disease gene and breast cancer gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1999 Jul;19(7):4633-42.
- Review of progress using yeast as a model organism for human disease. Trends Genet. 1997 Feb;13(2):49-50.